(I know these are not very good photos; I was in a hurry, as usual, to get this in the mail so Eliza can wear it to the Renaissance Festival in Charlotte this weekend.) Anyway, this is Eliza's costume. The dress pattern is out-of-print Simplicity 2817, the authorized Disney Cinderella costume. I bought the fabric back in the summer, before I found the pattern, so I had more (ah . . . much more) than enough. Enough leftover to make a hooded cape (Butterick 4319) lined with silver metallic knit. Ties are grograin ribbon.
Here's a closeup of the dress itself. The skirt is very full, even though it doesn't seem to be, and I am trusting that the panniers will look better once she has it on. Once again, my nemesis the back zipper appears—but this one, while not perfect, is at least normal-looking.
The fabric are from Jo-Ann's—polyester, of course—and the dress fabric has a silver sparkle woven into it. The sheer has sparkly bits applied—sort of like mirror shards, and a pain to sew over.
I made a bag, too—the pattern is Fig Tree Threads Berry Sweet Bag (the original looks like a strawberry).
If we are fortunate, someone may send a photo of her wearing it. (But I'm not holding my breath; the only reason I know it got to Florida is that I sent it delivery confirmation. K didn't return my Saturday call, and Eliza didn't answer my email, so perhaps it wasn't as wonderful as I thought it was. Oh, well.)
I sent Riley a box of gingersnaps instead of making him a costume, since he's partial to authentic-looking superhero costumes that usually involve spandex, and one spiderman was enough for me. And Emma is dressing as Darth Maul this year; her parents are dealing with the face paint (or mask), so I simply sewed large swaths (10 yards!) of black cotton sateen: a hooded robe (same Butterick 4319 in another incarnation) and a karate-type pants and jacket (McCalls 6184). Authenticity would have been hakama-type pants, and I rounded up directions; but I was sick with a cold-or-something all of September and on into October, and I just wasn't up for all that measuring. Maybe another time—they look awfully comfortable, and I could make myself a pair this winter . . .
And that is pretty much the end of my Halloween sewing. There were several other things I wanted to make but I just didn't have the energy this year. I have the fabric and patterns sorted out; maybe for next year. (There is one other thing: I made an interesting apron of Halloween prints, but I sent it to someone as a gift, so more bad photos will have to wait a few days.)